Bandicam: Failed to initialize codec

General talks and peer-to-peer support about Bandicam.

Bandicam: Failed to initialize codec

Postby offroadguy56 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 am

Hello.

Never had any problems with Bandicam until today.

I was using version 1.8.2.225 so i thought maybe that version is to old now so i updated to 1.8.9.371 but the problem persists. Windows Vista Business 64bit SP2. AMD A10-5800k APU with Radeon HD 7660D graphics.

I'm using the X264 codec with PCM audio codec.

When ever I try and record video. no matter the game, I get that Failed to initialize error. Ive tried Minecraft, Terraria, and Warframe.

both recording options, directX/opengl or rectangle on screen, produce the error.

if you need anymore information let me know.
Yes i know there was already a topic about this in the forum. No the solution did not fix my problem because I'm not running punkbuster.
offroadguy56

Re: Bandicam: Failed to initialize codec

Postby Bandisoft » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 am

I'm using the X264 codec with PCM audio codec.

1. Please go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/ and install both x264vfw and x264vfw64 codec.

2. Bandicam may be blocked by anti-hacking program.
-> Run Bandicam before the target program.

3. You may also see the post below:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=984

4. If you still have the problem, please use 'XVID' or 'Motion JPEG' codec.
Bandisoft
Site Admin

Postby offroadguy56 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for that useless information.

Though I am sorry for not mentioning that I am using the latest version of Windows Vista, Bandicam, AND the x264 32bit/64bit codecs.

DivX is to low quality and motion jpeg is to massive for my small hard drive. The only thing that seems to work best is the x264.

I do not have any anti-hacking software except for Avast but Avast did not show any popups for blocking it. I also always had Avast on with Bandicam before and never had any problems. And if you're asking me to disable my anti-virus every time i want to record, I laugh at you.

And don't tell me to just switch to another codec. I did not come here to ask permission to not use the x264 codec. There is a problem with either your software or the codec or both. I would like it fixed or at least looked at in detail.

As always, if you need any more information let me know.
Sorry for the rude tone. had a friend over last night and we didn't sleep at all.
offroadguy56

Postby Bandisoft » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 pm

It might be a problem with the x264 codec settings

1. Click the "Load Defaults" button at the x264vfw configuration.
2. Check "Ultrafast", "Zero Latency", "x264" and "None" at the configuration window to get the best result.

Related FAQ
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/vfw-x264-x ... odec/#x264
Bandisoft
Site Admin

Postby offroadguy56 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Ok.
I think I've found the problem.
I had the rate control set to Multipass - Nth pass.
I changed it to what is above and it started recording properly.

Thanks very much. I had completely forgotten about those rate control options. I had messed with them before but never had any problems. I think a recent update for windows caused the problem. The reason being is that in the game Dust an Elysian Tail, the cutscenes are in wmv format and when they play in the game only the bottom half of the screen shows. The top half is black. There was a security update, KB2803821, that did something with windows media. It's possible that there was another update that messed up the multipass function.

Thanks very much. Although file sizes will be slightly larger now, at least the quality is where I want it now.

With that, my problem is solved.
I will message the devs for the x264 codec about the multipass problem.
offroadguy56

Return to Bandicam - General Discussion